ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION — BACKGROUND
The American Lung Association was founded in 1904 with a goal to cure tuberculosis. Today, lung diseases are some of the most common conditions in the world. Nearly 34M Americans live with lung disease, including lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States. The American Lung Association, in fulfilling its mission to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, touches more than 25M Americans each year through its initiatives in education, advocacy and research. The Lung Association plays a national leadership role in addressing all issues related to lung disease through its strategic imperatives of defeating lung cancer, championing clean air for all, improving the quality of life for those with lung disease and their families, and creating a tobacco-free future.
The American Lung Association also works on national, state and local levels to address threats to lung health, including tobacco and e-cigarette usage, air pollution and climate change, asthma, COPD and infectious diseases like pneumonia, the flu, and COVID-19 respiratory diseases.
The American Lung Association is governed by a dedicated Board of Directors comprised of a diverse cross-section of scientists, healthcare and policy professionals, and local advocates who inform the work of staff and volunteers. With an annual operating budget of over $160M, and a staff of 450 individuals the American Lung Association is headquartered in downtown Chicago. Its activities are funded from contributions from individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government agencies.
The American Lung Association holds the top 4-star rating from Charity Navigator.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) of the American Lung Association will possess the skills to envision and lead the implementation of innovative marketing strategies that build on and enhance the Lung Association’s highly respected brand. These efforts will lead to expanded brand awareness, increased fundraising revenue, and enhanced relevance among American Lung Association’s multiple internal and external stakeholders.
This experienced marketing and communications professional will possess the unique blend of strategic leadership skills along with experience leading a team that utilizes digital marketing and fundraising to achieve the organization’s goals. The Chief Marketing Officer will have a track record of revitalizing brands making them relevant and resonant in today’s rapidly evolving market. This individual will have demonstrated implementation of successful strategies for engaging with an organization’s constituents and the wider public and will bring a clear vision for driving public interest to the American Lung Association’s program services and fundraising events.
Supervising a marketing, communications, and digital/e-commerce team of 38 individuals, the CMO will oversee and guide a team that can translate action plans into outcomes. The position requires an experienced data-driven strategic leader who has successfully planned, executed, and evaluated multi-channel campaigns and fundraising efforts and has built and managed high performing teams.
The CMO will demonstrate an inclusive leadership style and share the organization’s commitment to integrating diversity, equity and inclusion in its practices, programs and processes. The CMO will reflect their personal and organizational commitment to diversity, equity in inclusion through actions that help build and contribute to an inclusive culture in which everyone can bring unique talents, skills and perspectives, and feels welcomed and valued. The CMO also will serve as a valued member of the Executive Leadership Team.
The position is located at the American Lung Association’s Chicago headquarters and will be a hybrid of in-person and virtual work; occasional travel is required.
The position reports to the National President and CEO.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the Lung Association’s brand awareness and reputation now and will drive the mission forward for the future.
- Increase visibility and engagement with current constituents and the wider public in order to expand participation in programs services, fundraising events and general support.
- Lead a team to utilize the latest innovations in digital marketing and fundraising.
- Identify emerging issues and partner with members of the Executive Leadership Team and volunteer leaders to recognize marketing communications opportunities and solutions. Execute appropriate strategies and build consensus to support them.
- Mentor, develop and supervise the marketing, communications, digital and e-commerce team in developing and executing integrated marketing plans, content creation, branding, and digital delivery.
- Create a marketing/public relations strategy for the organization’s leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including key media, influencers, partners, and donors. Serve as communications counselor to the organization’s volunteer leadership.
- Prepare and manage budget and report on results.
- Build and lead best in class communication and campaign strategies to build awareness of and enhance the reputation of the American Lung Association in order to increase impact, donations and volunteer support.
- Oversee communications function, including strategy, planning, goal setting and communication of results at the national and local levels.
- Build strategies that raise awareness of the communities and populations that are disproportionately impacted by lung health, work to build awareness of lung health with communities disproportionately impacted, and demonstrate or raise up the work that ALA is doing to address these inequities.
- Lead the acceleration of growth in individual giving via digital fundraising through the development of new strategies, program innovation and optimization.
- Budget and forecasting revenue annually; identifying meaningful key performance indicators that contribute to the generation of revenue.
- In partnership with the Chief Technology Officer, ensure that technology and data infrastructure support the evolving needs of digital fundraising program; lead the building of roadmaps to meet future visions or pathways to growth.
- Build best in class advertising and awareness campaign strategies; set goals, track key performance indicators, and report on results.
- Oversee the growth and cultivation of customer relationships through digital channels (e.g., email, lung.org, social media, paid advertising).
- Partner with Development team to strategically integrate marketing/communications with business and fundraising efforts. Manage communications, advertising, and PR for fundraising and signature events.
- Collaborate with Programs and Advocacy to ensure branded assets are available for all events.
- Ensure the American Lung Association is in front of the media on lung health issues. Manage team to engage, cultivate, and manage key media contacts to ensure positive and strategic coverage.
- Facilitate, utilize, and leverage data and data analytic tools to evaluate the success and relevance of various campaigns and report results, ensuring that business decisions are data and market driven.
Business Development & Engagement
- Develop and leverage donor and influencer networks to generate leads for the Development team.
- Partner with Development team to reach donors, reflecting segmentation, targeting, and value proposition development.
- Rally the Lung Association’s stakeholders (staff, donors, volunteers, chapters, etc.) around the brand; ensure brand standards are maintained across all channels.
- Create and execute innovative stakeholder communications strategies to educate and inform current supporters about activities and accomplishments.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum of 15+ years of progressive marketing experience in planning, managing, and executing multi-channel, multi-segment marketing campaigns. Leadership and staff management experience required, preferably in a nonprofit setting. Advanced knowledge of delivering marketing messages through traditional and digital marketing, video, mobile platforms, and social media. Digital fundraising experience required.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Strategic, innovative thinker who drives change by bringing people together and has a track record of translating strategic thinking into action plans and successful outcomes.
- Experience in developing and implementing digital fundraising strategies, with a demonstrated record of success.
- Demonstrated experience in developing marketing content with written and visual components that produce compelling material and desired results.
- Inclusive, collaborative style; skilled at working with others to achieve shared goals and drive mission delivery.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to manage and mentor an integrated high-performing marketing/strategic communications team.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Comprehensive understanding of data and metrics, including web analytics and social media engagement. Ability to evaluate and extrapolate insights from platforms such as Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics and Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Deep understanding of digital fundraising and CRM tools (Luminate Online, Salesforce Marketing Cloud and NPSP, Razor’s Edge, etc.).
- Excellent organizational skills with planning, and follow-through capabilities.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, staff, volunteer leaders, other organizations, and industry contacts.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines. Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Results oriented problem solver.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, the Board of Directors, and staff.
Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smokefree workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
This search is being conducted by Gail Luxenberg, Tuft & Associates, Inc. Qualified candidates should submit, in confidence, a resume and a cover letter that outlines relevant personal qualifications to:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Gail Luxenberg, c/o at firstname.lastname@example.org.