The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) in Rosemont, IL is the premier global organization representing the interests of orthopaedic surgeons and other professionals who provide comprehensive health services for the care of active people of all ages. We cultivate evidence-based knowledge, provide extensive educational programming, and promote emerging research that advances the science and practice of sports medicine. We engage a community of sports medicine specialists to exchange ideas and best practices for all athletes – from professional teams to health-minded individuals and youth sports. We also provide useful guidance to help the public understand how to avoid sports injuries. Ultimately, we strive to prevent and reduce sports injuries, accelerate safe return to play, and promote effective clinical care so that people can continue to live healthy and active lifestyles.
The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) is the world leader in orthopaedic sports medicine education, research, communications, and fellowship. Founded in 1972, the Society’s nearly 4,000 members are orthopaedic surgeons and allied health professionals who demonstrate scientific leadership, involvement and dedication in the daily practice of sports medicine. Located in Rosemont, Illinois, AOSSM is an equity partner in the “Orthopaedic Building” and the Orthopaedic Learning Center with other national medical/surgical specialty societies. The Society is successful, growing and fiscally sound with an annual budget of approximately $9.5 million and has 25 staff supporting its various activities.
AOSSM is seeking an Education Coordinator to plan, coordinate and evaluate key programs for the orthopaedic sports specialty, often in collaboration with various professional sports associations. The successful candidate will be at the forefront of developing a cutting-edge curriculum including eLearning through our Learning Management System (LMS) as well as hybrid and live courses. This role also is essential in monitoring and coordinating Continuing Medical Education (CME) opportunities and credits.
Online Learning and Learning Management System (LMS) Administration
Coordinate the production and delivery of online educational content and resources, working closely with LMS vendor (OasisLMS) and various staff; provide front-line customer service to learners. Make recommendations to leverage systems to optimize and expand the learning experience and recommend best practices related to adult online learning.
- Maintain existing and upload new LMS content (event recordings and journal articles).
- Ensure online activities comply with CME and MOC standards and reporting requirements.
- Work with all departments to schedule and execute webinars and coordinate production of recordings onto LMS where applicable.
- Coordinate preparation of educational event resources and materials for online delivery.
- Coordinate surgical video library project launch and expansion.
Live Courses and Annual Meeting
Collaborate with Education team to develop, plan and deliver live education including sports-specific courses (e.g., NFL, NHL, MLS, etc.), surgical skills-based courses, and other special-topic courses.
- Assist in contacting faculty including initial invitations, requests for required documentation, handouts and other communication.
- Collaborate to determine processes for speaker/faculty proposals.
- Serve as a contact for various faculty including initial invitations, requests for required documentation, handouts, and other communication.
- Support development and distribution of course agenda.
- Support marketing efforts and supply information to other department teams as needed for registration set-up, website and program brochure development and app uploading.
- Provide onsite support for set-up, registration and management.
- Develop and distribute course evaluations and compile results.
- Recommend changes based on post-activity feedback and objectives.
- Coordinate review and uploading of annual meeting video archive.
- Serve as first point of contact within education team for customer service support.
- Staff and proactively lead the Self-Assessment Committee and liaise with the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery to organize all phases of the annual examination, including development, implementation, evaluation, marketing and processing.
- Oversee IT vendors for the maintenance and refinement of software applications to enrich user interface.
CME and General Department Operations
Support efforts of department in all activities by providing excellent customer support and maintaining CME records for compliance.
- Assist department team members to ensure compliance with ACCME accreditation requirements and standards.
- Serve as first point of contact for education department in customer service support and responding to inquiries for all programs and activities including Fellows exams and courses.
- Manage CME credit uploading and transfer process in conjunction with IT and others.
- Support assigned committees and task forces and handle coordination of their activities, to include agendas, meeting notices, minutes, etc.
- Assist with technology tools such as the submission system, registration and meeting app.
- Contribute to the planning process for educational activities by gathering information to help assess educational needs and practice gaps.
- Provide assistance on projects to the director and department as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, education, business, marketing, communications, nonprofit management or related educational field or equivalent experience
- Three or more years of association management experience in education preferred.
- Experience with online education and OasisLMS preferred
- Exposure to emerging technologies for education delivery desirable, particularly for health care professionals
- Superior organizational and computer skills
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concepts and specific instructions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with a diverse professional membership audience
- Ability to work independently while also effectively interacting and collaborating with individuals, service providers and others to achieve the organization’s goals
- Strong Microsoft Office skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Knowledge of ACCME requirements helpful
- Experience with Nimble/Salesforce or other association management system (AMS) platforms helpful
This position is a hybrid role based out of the AOSSM office in Rosemont, IL including two days per week in office. AOSSM offers a competitive salary and an exceptional comprehensive benefits package. Estimated travel currently includes overnight/out-of-state travel up five days per year for the AOSSM Annual Meeting in July. On occasion, work outside of the normal business day may be required. AOSSM is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
This search is being conducted by Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates, Inc. Qualified candidates should submit, in confidence, a resume and a cover letter that outlines relevant personal qualifications to:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Tuft & Associates, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.