Position Title: Vice President of Human Resources
Reports to: President and CEO
Exempt Status: Exempt
As an expression of Christ’s love, we serve individuals and their caregivers with compassion and respect for independence, wellness, and spiritual life.
General Statement of Duties
The Vice President of Human Resources is responsible for directing and leading the strategy, development and execution of strategic human resources programs and initiatives in support of organizational objectives.
This position provides overall guidance to organization systems and practices related to talent acquisition, talent development, compensation and benefits, individual performance management processes and engages in practices and initiatives that support, build, and foster a culture that reinforces the organization’s vision and core values. This position maintains a pulse on the ‘people’ environment of the organization along with issues and challenges facing the organization with the goal of building a positive, motivated, and engaged staff and a strong mission focused organizational culture.
This position is a member of the organization’s Executive Team and partners with the team to ensure the delivery of effective HR administrative services including execution of organization-wide benefit and compensation programs, EEO and compliance, safety, and records management.
This position also works closely with the Executive Team to support all people related issues. This includes helping to support the organization’s culture, organizational development, talent management and leadership development.
The Vice President of Human Resources provides and directs the strategic direction of all Human Resources staff and functions including processes, procedures, and initiatives.
Essential Job Functions
Culture and Organizational Development
- Identifies key performance indicators for the organization’s human resource and talent management functions; assesses the organization’s success and market competitiveness based on these metrics.
- Oversees the development of strategies, initiatives, and opportunities to ensure a high level of employee satisfaction, engagement, and retention.
- Maintains a firm grasp over employee morale and provide actionable feedback to the leadership team.
- Partners with leaders on addressing cultural issues including organizational change, agility, social networking, ethics and values, innovation, customer focus and diversity.
- Ensures that the values of the organization are communicated and understood at all levels, providing clarity as to the expected behavior of all employees and the development of a high-performance culture.
- Fosters an open and transparent communication culture to allow for sharing of knowledge, and information.
- Oversees the creation and development of team building programs to enhance sense of collaboration and camaraderie among the staff.
- Develops and implements reward and recognition programs ensuring that all areas of the organization participate.
- May act as facilitator in employee disagreements and assist managers with performance correction as needed.
- Develops and implements effective orientation and onboarding tools and processes for new employees.
- Leverage software and technology solutions to develop, manage, implement, and report on talent acquisition systems and processes that identify talent within and outside the organization.
- Strategize with the VP of Sales & Marketing to understand, strategize, and maximize the value of each system’s algorithm for search engine optimization (SEO), paid per click ads (PPC), and all recruiting spend.
- Partner with leadership to build the quality and depth of talent.
- Partner with leadership on the design of performance management processes and systems.
- Provide guidance and support for employee coaching and serve as a resource for employee-related matters.
- Work closely with management to implement learning solutions that focus on specific objectives and performance improvement.
Leadership Development and Training
- Develop and oversee strategies, initiatives and programs that support the professional and personal growth and development of LLV employees including organizational tuition reimbursement and scholarship program management.
- Responsible for oversite of the training tracking system to ensure regulatory compliance and staff accountability.
Compliance and HR Operations
- Analyzes existing benefit policies and plans of the organization and prevailing practices among similar organizations to establish competitive benefits programs.
- In collaboration with the Executive Team, responsible for the overall design and administration of the group health insurance and life insurance plans, HSA, COBRA, and the 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan.
- Develop, review regularly via market and wage survey research, and maintain competitive compensation program to ensure consistency and market competitiveness for all positions.
- Regularly update, at least annually, the employee handbook.
- Provide recommendations for incentives and rewards to motivate effective performance aligned with organizational goals and objectives.
- Provide direction and oversight for the development and administration of human resources policies and practices to ensure compliance with related legislation, regulations, and guidelines and to operate in a way consistent with organizational strategy and culture.
- Oversee compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements and advising management of needed actions.
- Manage the FMLA and Workers Compensation program.
- Continuously learn through participation in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Carry out all responsibilities in an honest, ethical, and professional manner consistent with the mission and values of the organization.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains HR staff.
- Oversees the workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Guides discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Develops and adheres to agreed-upon HR Department budget.
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Human Resources. Master’s degree preferred. PHR (Professional in Human Resources) or SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) certification required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior-level Human Resources position leading and directing the Human Resources function and at least 5 years in a strategic role.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of organization development, training & development, performance management systems and compensation design.
- Requires an in-depth knowledge of the principles, practices and theories, technology and laws in human resources.
- Work effectively with senior management and provide leadership to human resources, large scale change and organization development to deploy limited resources in most effective manner to support organization business priorities.
- Strong collaboration skills to facilitate open sharing of information.
- Significant relevant experience in high growth organizations defining and establishing programs that address impact to culture, talent, engagement, and change.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain highly effective working relationships in an extremely fast paced and demanding work environment.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills required and ability to develop creative solutions.
- Advanced computer skill level and experience with various HRIS, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, and other related systems.
- Must have demonstrated organizational skills with a keen attention to detail and the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and projects within given timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive reports; carry out assigned projects to their completion, communicate verbally and in writing, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees.
- Exceptional ability to maintain confidentiality and demonstrates poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and be solutions oriented.
- Previous successful work experience in which working in a team-oriented environment was critical to the success of getting the job done.
- Demonstrated experience to interpret and implement current trends in areas such as benefits, compensation, training, recruiting, succession planning and other key HR areas.
- Demonstrated high level of emotional intelligence and ability to deal with difficult and contentious issues.
- Demonstrated experience training employees at all levels in a variety of training programs related to HR topics, staff development, and leadership, to effectively ensure the delivery of training programs to meet diverse staff needs.
- Computer, copiers, fax, telephone/voice mail.
Physical Demands (Place x in appropriate box for each item. Add items or notes, if needed.)
|Seeing: Must be able to read and use computer||X|
|Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with coworkers||X|
|Work at computer for long periods||X|
Normal office working conditions apply.
Expectations for All Employees
- All employees will support the organization’s mission and vision by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence; collaboration and innovation; respect; commitment to community; and accountability and ownership.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information.
- Adherence to safety measures: assures infection control and standard precaution practices are maintained; uses protective devices when performing tasks according to OSHA, infection control, and universal standard regulations; reports all hazardous conditions; follows fire/tornado/emergency and other safety policies and procedures; keeps work area free of hazards; and follows safety precautions when using equipment and supplies.
- Participation in mandatory in-service training and essential meetings.
- Observes Corporate Code of Conduct in job performance.
- Follows HIPAA guidelines.
- Maintains positive work atmosphere through behavior and communication in a manner that gets along with residents, families, visitors, co-workers, and management.
- Regular attendance to ensure care to residents.
- Recommends changes in office practices and procedures.
- Flexibility for other assigned tasks.
Fort Wayne, IN; must be able to go into office
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
This search is being conducted by Meg Laundry, Associate, Tuft & Associates, Inc. Qualified candidates should submit, in confidence, a resume and a cover letter that outlines relevant personal qualifications to:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Tuft & Associates, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org.