The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) is a National Surgical Specialty Society located in the Chicago suburb of Rosemont, Illinois. The association shares office space in the Orthopaedic Building with other national medical/surgical specialty societies. Established in 1991, AAHKS provides leadership in advocacy, education and research aimed at achieving excellence in hip and knee patient care. The organization has over 4,500 members, an annual budget of approximately $8 million, and a staff of 10. Governed by a 12 member Executive Board, AAHKS provides its members with legislative and public health advocacy, newsletters, a Journal of Arthroplasty, and an Annual Meeting and other CME opportunities. The Annual Meeting, held in the fall, addresses a broad array of scientific topics, such as implant design, results, surgical techniques and complications of primary and revision TJA, as well as the latest information available on socioeconomic issues affecting the specialty.
The Membership Operations Specialist will be responsible for maintaining the association database and providing administrative support in membership and operations.
- Maintain the association database in concert with other staff members.
- Lead database improvement efforts and report system issues as needed.
- Analyze membership data to assess trends in the arthroplasty profession and to assist other staff with data needs.
- Coordinate the membership application process from reception to completion, including letters of recommendation and other pertinent documentation.
- Prepare and send welcome packets to new members and change of membership status documents.
- Participate in developing and implementing campaigns for membership recruitment and retention.
- Update new member data and status changes to the Annual Membership Tracker spreadsheet on a monthly basis.
- Assist with the processing of annual membership renewal and dues collection.
- Maintain the Journal of Arthroplasty mailing list and work with Elsevier staff to ensure accurate membership information.
- Run Melissa Data Bulk Address Validation
- Assist with registration at AAHKS events.
- Answer the main phone line and address or direct calls and voicemails, respond to or relay e-mails in shared mailboxes.
- Maintain familiarity with issues and challenges concerning the association and hip and knee surgery professionals.
- Handle other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in business, communications, information technology, or other related areas.
- 2+ years of administrative and database management experience in a customer-service, and business-focused organization. We are also open to a recent college graduate with demonstrated strong database management skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with association management software (Microsoft Dynamics CRM preferred), including query building or ability to quickly learn new software skills.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of applications.
- Excellent data entry skills and ability to effectively work with other staff members on procedures for entering and correcting sensitive payment-related data, including handling refunds and credits.
- Strong project management skills including demonstrated ability to organize, shift gears quickly, and ensure completion of long-term deadlines.
- Sound judgment with proven ability to resolve complex issues quickly and calmly through critical-thinking, analytical problem-solving, collaboration, and conflict management.
- Proven ability to function independently and knowing when to take an issue to other staff membersfor consideration.
- Proven ability to work professionally to assist volunteer leaders, general members, and potential members with inquiries and issues
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, using discretion and judgment in dealing with sensitive and controversial issues.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, co-workers, representatives of external organizations, and the public.
- Displays a polished, poised, confident, and professional demeanor that projects the premier image of AAHKS; demonstrates tact and diplomacy in dealing with people at all levels.
- Uses clear, concise, consistent, and tactful language – both oral and written – to communicate effectively with multiple audiences on a wide variety of issues
- Previous experience in an association environment, with volunteer governance structures, preferred.
- Travel required, approximately 7-10 days per year, including an extended period during the Annual Meeting.
AAHKS offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental, long-term disability, 401k. This search is being conducted by Tuft & Associates. To apply, please forward your resume electronically with cover letter in confidence to: Mary McMahon, Associate, Tuft & Associates, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 312-642-8889.