The Membership Sales Director is a new position that serves the Illinois State Medical Society (ISMS). The Director reports to the ISMS Chief Administrative Officer and will have the following key responsibilities:
- Develop sales programs, protocols, and relationships that facilitate the recruitment of new individual members, physician groups, partners, and supporters for the ISMS.
- Seek out, develop, and coordinate engagement opportunities that ensure face-to-face meetings, dialogue, and discussions between prospective members and ISMS volunteer leaders, staff leadership, and allied stakeholders throughout Illinois.
The Illinois State Medical Society is a professional organization that represents and unifies physician members as they practice the science and art of medicine. The Society represents the interests of member physicians, advocates for patients and promotes the doctor/patient relationship, the ethical practice of medicine, and the betterment of the public health.
ISMS is based in Chicago (20 N. Michigan Ave., Ste. 700, Chicago, IL 60602) and also maintains an office in Springfield, Illinois. In keeping with State of Illinois’ COVID-19 safety measures, the Society is currently operating virtually.
ISMS was founded in Springfield, Illinois, in 1840 by 12 physicians and surgeons who organized the Society to address solutions for the ethical, scientific, legislative and economic problems plaguing physicians at that time. ISMS has since grown into the leading advocate of Illinois physicians and patients. ISMS membership represents the overwhelming majority of Illinois physicians statewide, from all specialties and practice types. Learn more at www.isms.org
ISMIE Mutual Insurance Company is the leading medical liability insurer for approximately 11,000 Illinois physicians. Established in 1976 by the Illinois State Medical Society, the company is completely physician-owned and operated, and is dedicated to providing medical practices with superior insurance protection at sensible prices.
The Membership Sales Director will help develop and implement a comprehensive sales strategy to recruit new groups and individual physicians as long-term members. The Director will be responsible for:
- Lead generation and pipeline management of prospective group members, such as medical groups, specialty societies, hospitals, and other partnerships in Illinois.
- Establishing relationships in order to familiarize prospective members with ISMS offerings. During relationship-building, specific benefits will be highlighted in order to develop custom membership pitches and meetings. This may entail organizing engagement from senior staff and physician leaders.
- Serving as a liaison with other Divisions to ensure enhanced and clear communications on key areas/issues, such as market conditions, changes within the market, problem areas, and new opportunities.
- Travel within Illinois (up to 40%) as appropriate for purposes of recruitment and relationship-building. Some travel may take place outside normal business hours and require an overnight stay.
The Director’s duties also include:
- Raising awareness of the Society and developing relationships with physicians, their staff, and additional key players in designated areas of the state.
- Achieving daily/weekly call and email goals, and maintaining frequency of contact with both non-physician and physician leaders within hospitals, medical staffs, group practices, and their affiliated county medical societies.
- Working with ISMS member physicians and ISMS executive leadership to determine key performance indicators (KPIs) and other objectives/benchmarks for the Membership Sales Program.
- Helping develop and meet overall KPIs / objectives of the organization by way of membership sales/recruitment, relationship-building, and marketing of the Society.
- Evaluating and reporting on sales initiatives, as well as maintaining an ongoing record of all sales activities and their effectiveness; and submitting an activity report on a weekly basis or as requested.
The Membership Sales Director will hold responsibility for specific projects that require independent research, management, and coordination.
- These responsibilities include, but are not limited to: prospective group and individual member lead generation; cold calling; database updates and management; customer relationship management; identifying and scheduling meetings with prospective members’ decision-makers; developing and executing a sales plan; and closing membership sales.
The Membership Sales Director also will:
- Work closely with the ISMS Marketing and Outreach (M&O) Division to ensure a smooth transition to membership relationship management/engagement after the closing of new membership sales.
- Attend four quarterly Board meetings and the ISMS Annual Meeting.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as required and directed.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business, Communications, Public Relations, or a related field.
Experience: A minimum of five years of significant experience in sales, business development, marketing or related communications field. Experience in the nonprofit, association, or healthcare/medical industries is required. A strong understanding of the relationship between hospital systems, group practices, and independent physicians is a plus.
- Demonstrated success in developing an effective sales program, including drafting scripts to build rapport with gatekeepers and schedule meetings with C-suite level administration.
- Proven ability to meet and/or exceed established sales quotas and metrics.
- Positive and energetic attitude coupled with resilience, perseverance, and the ability to make cold calls, overcome objections, and handle rejection in a professional manner.
- Must have excellent oral, written, and presentation skills with the ability to communicate with a wide variety of personalities, and a comfort level in leading and participating in presentations and meetings.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to relate effectively to physicians, medical professionals, including office managers, C-suite administration, and society executives.
- Outstanding negotiation skills paired with strong analytical skills is required.
- Excellent organizational and project-management skills. Must be able to handle multiple prospects simultaneously and prioritize effectively.
- Adept critical-thinking skills and strong sense of self-motivation.
- Must have a strong work ethic, as well as the ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Skills to research and organize information with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Must understand and support the service philosophy of ISMS and ISMIE.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle are required.
- Be well-versed in Microsoft Office software; working knowledge of databases and Salesforce CRM platforms a significant plus.
Compensation & Workplace
- ISMS offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
- ISMS provides an excellent workplace environment, staffed by a top-caliber team of talented and service-focused professionals.
Search Process: How to Apply
This search is being conducted by Mary Nowesnick, Associate, Tuft & Associates.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume with cover letter in confidence electronically, using one of these options:
- Complete the resume submission form at below, and include your resume and cover letter
- Email your resume and cover letter to Catherine Babjak, Manager, Administration & Business Operations: email@example.com; 312.642.8889