The Aesthetic Society- History
Founded in 1967, The Aesthetic Society is recognized as the world’s leading professional organization of ABPS board-certified plastic surgeons who are solely dedicated to the art, science, and safe practice of aesthetic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. Members are recognized as Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, to honor their many additional years of highly-specialized training and their passionate commitment to their patients. Legally known as the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the Society recently underwent a rebranding process to “The Aesthetic Society”. The last phase of the process will be a launch of their new website in September 2021 with the new URL theaestheticsociety.org (Current site is www.surgery.org).
Headquartered in Garden Grove, CA with a staff of 37 and $10M budget, The Aesthetic Society represents more than 2,500 active members in the U.S and Canada, as well as international members, and is at the forefront of innovation in aesthetic plastic surgery.
The Aesthetic Society provides education through meetings and training for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and offers CME (Continuing Medical Education) credits. It publishes the Aesthetic Surgery Journal, the most widely read clinical journal in aesthetic surgery.
The Society collects data on aesthetic surgery and publishes statistics on the number of procedures performed as well as other supporting data. It disseminates news about aesthetic (cosmetic) surgery and promotes professional conduct. It represents the rights of patients to be informed about the training and credentials of their doctors and the risks and benefits of aesthetic surgery.
The mission of The Aesthetic Society is to advance the science, art, and safe practice of aesthetic plastic surgery & cosmetic medicine through education, research, and innovation while maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct.
Organization and Leadership
Since 2010, Executive Director, Sue Dykema, CAE, has led a cohesive, effective, and stable team of professionals. The Senior Director, Communication & Marketing is a key senior position, reporting directly to the Executive Director.
The Aesthetic Society is an organization that prides itself on its integrity, informality, flexibility and strong work ethic. The ability of the team to work together has led to long tenures among many of its top staff. In addition, committed volunteer leaders work closely with the team developing communications strategies. The next Senior Director, Communication & Marketing will work well in this environment.
The field of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery maintains the highest professional standards in a rapidly evolving field and the new Senior Director, Communication & Marketing will be responsible for delivering that message through various channels. Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, many of whom are in a small group or solo practice, are knowledgeable about marketing their own businesses so they seek a Senior Director who can be a communication leader with demonstrated marketing prowess.
The Aesthetic Surgery Education & Research Foundation (ASERF) is the philanthropic research arm of The Aesthetic Society. The majority of ASERF members are also members of The Aesthetic Society. The mission is to identify and pursue those issues relevant to advancing the safety and effectiveness of aesthetic medicine through independent, unbiased, directed research and groundbreaking education.
As the organization is still actively in the process of raising awareness about the rebranding initiative as The Aesthetic Society, the importance of this Senior Director position for the professional members and the consumers they serve will be pivotal to the organization’s success.
The Senior Director, Communication and Marketing is a respected, engaged, and hands-on leader, responsible for messaging and revenue that sustains the organization. The Senior Director plays a critical leadership role, participating in crafting growth strategies and implementing plans while supervising a staff of six individuals located in the office and remotely and key contracted employees. The Senior Director, Communication and Marketing will lead by example demonstrating expert knowledge of the field, utilizing professional communication and management skills that will empower and motivate, providing support and direction; and establishing strong and effective working relationships among all staff, senior management, volunteer leaders, members, stakeholders, and various partner organizations. This individual will continue to foster the inclusive, flexible and collaborative culture that makes The Society a place employees enjoy working.
The Senior Director, Communication and Marketing will have demonstrated success managing a team and fostering autonomy and camaraderie in a virtual environment. Though headquartered in Garden Grove, CA the location of the position may be remote with occasional travel required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities for the position include, but are not limited to:
Responsible for all external communication conducted on the Society’s behalf
- Social Media and digital initiatives for consumers/patients and members
- Media and Public Relations
- Creation and production of annual statistics
- Crisis communication as needed
- FDA related activities related to the organization
- Public information on consumer patient related safety issues
- Promotional activities surrounding meetings and symposia
- Product development and promotion
- Production and development of quarterly newsletter
- Development of “look and feel” of annual Aesthetic Meeting
- Creation and distribution of patient safety advisories, and other clinically related communication, in conjunction with leadership
- Oversight and/or direct staff liaison on all Communication Commission Committees
- Communication consultant to the President including preparing annual State of the Society presentations, monthly President’s newsletter, and quarterly President’s articles in Society publications
- Planning and rollout of new Society brand to consumers/patients and maintenance of new brand to members
- Development of institution-wide high-level communication plan
- Market research initiatives to include technology suite of ANN (member data collection) and Aesthetic One (paired surgeon/patient app)
https://ann.surgery.org and http://surgery.org/aestheticone
- (Foundation plans to launch a research platform in 2022 that will leverage data from ANN and Aesthetic One plus 3rd party data)
- Supervision of Six FTE’s including:
- Director of Public Relations
- Manager of Member Marketing
- Digital Marketing Specialist (reports to Director of PR)
- Graphic Designer
- Product Manager, ANN | Aesthetic One
- Subcontractors and consultants as needed
- (A new website is under development, led by the Senior Director of Web Strategy and Development)
- Budgeting and planning all marketing and communication activities
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ten or more years’ experience running the communication function of a nonprofit membership organization
- Senior experience in consumer branding via digital marketing channels
- Excellent writing skills
- Senior level experience in public relations, particularly crisis communication
- Successful creation and implementation of complex marketing communication programs with knowledge of data analytics, methods, and measurement.
- Ability to maintain professional decorum dealing with a complex, member driven organization with rapidly changing priorities
- Ability to thrive in a flat, non-hierarchical organization
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to lead direction and recognize excellence in:
- Graphic Design
- Video creation and production
- Written communication
- Other tools used to produce programs and communication
- Successful management of finances and budgets
- Comfortable working in a medical environment
- Knowledge in scholarly publishing and research outcomes.
- Innovative, inclusive, and forward thinking committed to The Society’s mission
- Experienced in managing a virtual team
- Ability to travel and attend evening and weekend meetings as required
- Vision—Thinks in big-picture terms and articulates a broad perspective to help create a common purpose.
- Trust and Integrity—Predictable, shares information and power, supports a culture of candor and supports others in their ability to generate trust. Acts professionally, ethically, and morally; functions as a role model.
- Participation and Community—Inspires people to get involved and pitch in with their knowledge, effort, and enthusiasm.
- Learning—Self-aware, understands his/her own strengths and shortcomings, promotes creativity and innovation. Takes initiative to stay current in appropriate areas.
- Diversity and Inclusion—Actively seeks to build a diverse workplace and encourages and cultivates an appreciation of the positive aspects of people’s differences and encourages a culture of mutual respect.
- Efficiency–Manages time and resources effectively.
- Credibility—Recognized as an effective leader who will reflect The Aesthetic Society’s values.
This search is being conducted by Gail Luxenberg, Associate, Tuft & Associates. Those interested in applying should submit a resume and cover letter outlining specific qualifications electronically, using one of these options:
- Complete the resume submission form below, and include your resume and cover letter.
- Email your resume and cover letter to Gail Luxenberg, c/o email@example.com